This is a new recipe to me – I tried something very similar at a festival last weekend as a dosa filling, and it was delicious. Unfortunately my attempts at making dosas were disasterous, possibly due to not being able to source any gram flour, and thus ending up with very soggy pancakes! Not to be defeated I carried on with the filling, which turned out to be a very nice curry in itself!
400g baby potatoes, halved
A large bunch of spring onions, roughly chopped
4 tbs vegetable oil
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chilli powder
1 x 400ml can of good quality coconut milk
50g desiccated coconut
1. Place the oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat then add the mustard seeds and chillis. Fry for 2 minutes then add the chopped onions and fry for a further 2 minutes.
2. Add the potato pieces and mix well before adding the water and bringing the mixture to the boil, covered.
3. Boil for 5 minutes, then remove the lid and simmer for a further 5 minutes to soften the potatoes.
4. Add the turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder and 1 tsp of salt and mix well.
5. Add the coconut milk and desiccated coconut, mix well and allow to simmer gently for 10 minutes.
6. Serve immediately with rice and chutneys.