I’m not going to take the credit for this one – this is the first post in five years that doesn’t feature one of my creations. This excellent dish was made my by long-suffering wife based upon a Slimming World recipe and was really tasty, and was definitely a case of giving credit where it was due. This recipe was light yet filling, very tasty, almost fat free and perfect for a warm Summer evening. Take away the egg and topping and it’s vegan too!
250g dried Puy lentils
2 large red onions, sliced
2 courgettes, sliced
6 tomatoes, halved
1 yellow pepper, deseeded then sliced
Low calorie olive oil cooking spray
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Small handful each of fresh mint and coriander, roughly chopped.
200g fresh spinach, rinsed and drained
6 free range eggs
For the dressing;
2 tsp smoked paprika
Juice from 2 lemons
1 tsp chilli powder
1. Preheat the oven to 150C.
2. On a large baking tray lined with baking parchment, place the tomatoes (cut side up), the onions, pepper slices and courgettes and spray them lightly with the oil. Sprinkle the cumin seeds over and slow roast for approximately one hour.
3. Meanwhile, place the lentils in a large saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil then reduce to simmer for 25 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
4. Mix the dressing ingredients together and season.
5. Add the roasted vegetables, spinach leaves, lentils, fresh herbs and dressing, and stir well.
6. Poach 6 eggs until just cooked and place one on each bowl.
7. Mix the chopped chilli with the quark and place a tablespoon of the mixture on each egg.
8. Serve immediately with fresh bread.