As much as I like cooking complicated and time-consuming meals, sometimes a quick and easy tea is all that I can muster up (especially after a busy day at the cafe). This recipe is a nice one for such an occasion – quick, fool-proof and very tasty!
500g baby potatoes, halved
2 tbs sunflower oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander and ground turmeric
200g fresh spinach, roughly chopped
Large bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped.
1. Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with boiling water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. In another large pan, add the oil and gently fry the onion, garlic, chilli and spices for 8 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes and tinned tomatoes to the pan, bring to the boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
4. Add the spinach, season and add the fresh coriander. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
5. Serve immediately with rice or naan bread (I did pilau rice and garam masala roasted cashews)