This is a nice filling, yet healthy recipe which is something a bit different but ideal for cold winter evenings. This is my variation on a traditional warm salad recipe, which would work really well as party food too. This recipe is also easily adaptable to make it dairy-free using soya mince and vegan cheese. Enjoy!
200g Wholewheat Giant Couscous
500ml good quality stock made from Bouillon
2 large onions, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
100g Quorn mince (or vegan Soya alternative)
Large handful of fresh spinach leaves
5 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 wholewheat pitta breads
100g feta cheese, diced (optional)
For the dressing;
4 tsp Baharat
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Lightly fry the Couscous in 2 tbs of the olive oil for 2 minutes until slightly golden then add the stock. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, add the remaining oil to a wok or large frying pan and sauté the onions and mince for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and fry for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add the Couscous and spinach to the onion mixture and mix well. Pour into a large salad bowl.
4. Mix all of the dressing ingredients together then drizzle over the salad.
5. Top with toasted pitta pieces and the diced feta and serve at room temperature.