There is nothing quite like a filling, satisfying bowl of chilli to act as the perfect comfort food during the Winter months, and this recipe has the added bonus of providing ten of your five-a-day in the process!
2 large onions, peeled and roughly chopped
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 green chillies, finely chopped (deseeded if you prefer less heat)
5 tbs sunflower oil
4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
4 large carrots, roughly chopped
2 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
1 large aubergine, cut into 2 cm dice
2 courgettes, roughly chopped
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 cm dice
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2 cm dice
200g frozen peas
1 x 400g can of good quality chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g can of red kidney beans
200g red split lentils
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
2 tsp Demerara sugar
500ml vegetable stock
Small handful of freshly chopped coriander
1. Add the oil to a large saucepan and gently saute the onion, garlic and chilli for 5 minutes until soft.
2. Add the spices and stir for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add all of the fresh vegetables, stir to combine then add the tomatoes, lentils and stock.
4. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring regularly.
5. Add the frozen peas, kidney beans and sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes.
6. Stir in the fresh coriander, season, and take off the heat.
7. Serve immediately with rice or a fresh salad.