I have been experimenting with my spiralizer recently, and up to now haven’t tried the recommendation of making courgette ‘pasta’, or Courgetti, with it. I was initially a bit sceptical that it wouldn’t be quite as satisfying as traditional spaghetti, but was really pleased with the results of this. I think the key thing is not to blanch the vegetables for too long to ensure that the texture and flavour is at it’s best.
3 large courgettes, trimmed and cut into spiral ribbons (cut into strips with a peeler is good too)
2 large carrots, also trimmed and cut into ribbons
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into small dice
For the Pesto;
100g fresh watercress
30g grated vegetarian Parmesan Style cheese
1 clove of garlic, crushed
40g cashew nuts
Small bunch of fresh basil
5 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to season
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil then add the potato cubes. Return to the boil for 7 minutes.
2. Add the carrots and simmer for a further 2 minutes before adding the courgettes. Simmer for a further 3 minutes then drain and set aside.
3. To make the pesto, place all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
4. Return the vegetables to the dry pan and heat gently for 2 minutes to dry and warm through. Add the pesto and stir well to combine.
5. Serve immediately with a drizzle of olive oil and extra basil to garnish.