This is a variation on a recipe that I have posted before, but I make no apologies as it’s one of my favourites (and one of the most popular Specials in my cafe!). I have modified the spice blend and reduced the oil to make it a bit healthier and slightly spicier, but it is still very satisfying and my go-to comfort food when it’s cold outside!
6 large aubergines, halved and scored inside in a cross pattern
50 ml sunflower oil
3 large onions, sliced
150g baby potatoes, quartered
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp turmeric
1 tbs medium curry powder
2 x 400g tins of good quality chopped tomatoes
Small handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1. Place the aubergine halves in a large colander, sprinkle generously with salt and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and set aside to drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, add half of the oil and saute the onions, garlic and spices on a low heat for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and tomatoes, and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Season to taste.
3. Preheat the oven to 190C.
4. Pour the remaining oil in a griddle pan or large frying pan, the batch fry the aubergines until light brown. Repeat until all of the halves are done.
5. Arrange the aubergines open side up in a large baking tray. Pour the potato mixture over the top, ensuring that the aubergines are covered.
6. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
7. Serve immediately with rice or a green salad.