It has been quite a while since I’ve posted a recipe on this blog, however I think that in the current uncertain times that we are all living in at the moment, there is more need than ever for adventurous comfort food, and this recipe hits all the spots for me! This is my variation on a BBC Good Food recipe, and can be used as a starter or side, but to be honest I thought that it was amazing on its own!
4 large Aubergines
200g good quality feta cheese, roughly crumbled
150ml Greek yogurt
1 fresh green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
5 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Small bunch of chives, roughly chopped
1/2 white bagel
3 tbs milk
70g flaked almonds
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
60ml extra virgin olive oil, for the tarator
1. Heat the oven to 200C. Place the aubergines on a large baking tray, prick all over, and brush with the oil. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, break the bagel into pieces and place in a bowl with the milk. Allow to soak in for 30 minutes. Add the soaked bread to a food processor, along with the garlic, almonds and lemon juice. Blend until smooth by gradually adding the oil. Season and set aside.
3. Place the feta in a bowl with the yogurt and roughly mash together.
4. To prepare, split the roasted aubergines down the middle and fill with the feta mixture. Top with the almond tarator, then sprinkle the chives and chillies over the top.
5. Serve at room temperature with fresh bread and a green salad.