If you’re stuck for an idea for a vegan main course to go with all the trimmings on Christmas Day, or just for Sunday lunch, here’s a recipe which is quick and easy and provides an alternative to the tried and tested (and somewhat over-used) nut roast recipes. As well as being suitable for people on nut, gluten or dairy-free diets, it’s very tasty, filling, and easy to make. What more do you need when the festive kitchen is chaotic and you just want some good food? Have a good Christmas everyone!
2 large aubergines, thinly sliced
500g red split lentils
6 tbs sunflower oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
800ml good quality stock from bouillon
1. Place the aubergines slices in a large bowl, sprinkle generously with salt and leave for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C.
3. Meanwhile, add the lentils, tomatoes, spices and stock to a large saucepan, bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes until the stock is absorbed.
4. In a smaller pan add 2 tbs of the oil and gently simmer the onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Set aside.
5. Rinse and drain the aubergine slices then batch fry in the remaining oil in a large frying pan, turning once until both sides are golden brown.
6. In a large greased loaf tin add a layer of the aubergine slices, then a layer of the onion mixture, followed by a layer of the lentils. Repeat until full then place in the oven for 20 minutes.
7. Take out of the tin, cut into thick slices and serve immediately.