I was lucky enough to be given a large box of tiny button mushrooms the other day and thought I would try to experiment with them. As the weather was particularly cold and grim (i.e. a typical English January!), I went down the spicy route. This proved to be very popular in the cafe and I will definitely be re-visiting this recipe sometime soon.
750g button mushrooms, wiped but left whole
2 large aubergines
4 tsp sunflower oil
2 medium onions, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 green chillis, deseeded and chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
150g red split lentils
Large handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1. Cut the aubergines on one side, down the length then microwave on full power for 12 minutes until soft. Allow to cool.
2. In a large saucepan heat the oil then add the onions, garlic, chilli, mustard seeds and spices. Sauté gently for 5 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes.
4. Scrape out the aubergine flesh, roughly chop and add to the mixture. Add the rest of the ingredients and 500ml cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer gently for 20 minutes.
5. Serve immediately with plenty of fresh coriander to garnish.