This recipe is very much inspired by what was available in the fridge on a Friday afternoon prior to the weekly Big Shop! I have tried experimenting with grated cauliflower before, and with limited success in some cases, but I thought that this might work in providing an easy (low carb) meal with a twist. It was actually pretty simple, but the key is definitely compacting the Fritters as much as possible before baking to help them stick together. Definitely a recipe I will do again anyway!
1 small cauliflower, leaves removed and roughly chopped
1 medium leek, finely chopped
1 courgette, grated
2 tbs olive oil
2 free range eggs
4 tbs self raising flour
2 tbs fresh herbs (I used chives and rosemary)
1 tsp chilli flakes
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Place the oil in a large frying pan and gently sauté the chopped leaks and grated courgette for 5 minutes then set aside.
3. Put the cauliflower pieces in a food processor and blend until finely grated then place in a large pan of boiling water for 5 minutes to soften. Drain and set aside.
4. Crack the eggs in a large mixing bowl, and beat together with the herbs, chilli flakes and seasoning. Add the leeks, cauliflower and courgette together with the flour and mix well to combine.
5. Take a handful of the mixture and squeeze well to remove excess moisture before forming into a large patty. Place on a large baking sheet covered with greaseproof paper. The mixture should make 12.
6. Place in the oven for 20 minutes before carefully turning over for a further 20 minutes until golden brown.
7. Serve immediately with a yoghurt and mint dressing (I also added baked aubergine slices, pittas and feta to make a Mezze).