This is a really simple recipe that I played around with last week when looking for a quick but satisfying light lunch. It’s a bit like a gratin, but also a bit like sautéed potatoes. I was very pleased (and a bit surprised!) with the results, and my children want me to do it again, so something must have gone ok!
500g baby potatoes, halved
2 large aubergines, diced
4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
100g frozen peas
2 tsp Herbes de Provence
50g grated mature cheddar cheese (optional if vegan)
Salt and pepper
1. Place the diced aubergine in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes then rinse thoroughly and drain.
2. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of salted water, and parboil for 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large frying pan (I used a wok), heat the oil and add the aubergines and potatoes. Stir well to cover with the oil, add the herbs and cover the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
4. Add the peas and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
5. Season and stir well. Stir in the cheese if using.
6. Serve immediately with a salad or some fresh bread.