I was secretly very pleased when these came out of the oven as every time that I have ever tried to make rostis of any sort it has been a complete disaster! I have had ones that have burnt, shrunk, but mostly collapsed. This recipe, however seems to combine the right ingredients to hold them together, but provides a nice mixture of flavours and textures, and they go with almost anything (I made a quick ratatouille).
2 large floury potatoes, peeled
1 large sweet potato, peeled
2 spring onions, chopped
4 tbs sunflower oil
3 tbs plain flour
1 tsp whole grain mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Roughly grate the potatoes, sweet potatoes and courgette into a large bowl.
3. Pour the mixture out onto a clean tea towel and compress to wring out as much moisture as possible. Return to the bowl and add in the remaining ingredients. Mix well to combine.
4. Heat the oil in a large frying pan then place the ingredients in large rosti rings (I used cake rings!) and fry until brown, turning once.
5. Carefully transfer the rostis to a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes until cooked through. Serve immediately.