I always think that mushrooms are a fantastically versatile vegetable (fungus?), and can add flavour and texture to any dish, whether chopped, sliced, sautéed, fried, baked, or in this case, simply stuffed. This recipe is something that I’ve come up with using some ingredients from a recipe for a Spanish spinach tortilla, but the combination of onions, spinach, cashews and nutmeg complements the feta and mushrooms really well, making this a nice light lunch, or a great addition to a tapas.
4 large field mushrooms
3 tbs olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
80g fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
100g feta cheese, diced
50g cashews, chopped
1 tsp ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Carefully take out the stalks of the mushrooms, chop and place in a bowl.
3. In a small frying pan, add 2 tbs of the olive oil and gently sauté the chopped onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the cashews and chopped spinach and simmer for a further minute.
4. Add the mixture to the bowl with the mushroom stalks, then add the nutmeg, feta and seasoning and mix well.
5. With a pastry brush, coat the bottom of the mushrooms with the remaining oil and place on a baking tray. Fill the mushrooms with the mixture then place in the oven for 10 minutes.
6. Serve immediately with bread or a green salad.