This recipe is for something a bit different for a light evening meal. I think that mushrooms are often used merely as an ingredient, rather than being given a chance to be the centrepiece. This is a variation on a Spanish recipe using feta cheese, but I have ‘veganised’ it using marinated tofu – both work as well, and I recommend also experimenting with adding nuts such as crushed toasted cashews or walnuts. The salsa keeps well by the way and can be used as a dressing on lots of other things, such as fresh pasta or salads.
4 large field mushrooms, wiped clean and stalks removed
1 pack plain tofu, diced
6 tbs extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
Juice of a lemon
100g fresh baby spinach leaves
Small each handful of fresh parsley and coriander
Salt and pepper
1. Marinade the diced tofu overnight in a dressing of 2 tbs olive oil and the juice of half the lemon.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C.
3. In a small cup, mix together half of the crushed garlic and 2 tbs olive oil. Brush the mixture to the underside of the mushrooms and place on a baking tray.
4. Add the tofu to each mushroom and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, add the spinach, herbs, remaining garlic, oil and lemon juice to a food processor. Season and pulse until smooth.
6. When the mushrooms are lightly brown, place a generous helping of the salsa on top, and serve with spicy wedges and a green salad.