Happy New Year everyone! At this time of year I tend to crave healthy food following the excesses of Christmas, but it feels too cold for traditional green salads, so I hit upon this recipe to get those craved-after vitamins but in a warming way! It may seem a bit weird having warmed veg with lettuce, but trust me this really works!
1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2cm dice
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
150ml good quality vegetable stock from bouillon
1 small iceberg lettuce, shredded
3 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
3 spring onions, roughly chopped
100g feta cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the butternut squash cubes, olive oil, garlic and thyme leaves. Place on a large baking tray and roast for 20 minutes until soft.
3. Add the couscous and hot vegetable stock to a small bowl and allow to soak for 10 minutes
4. In another large mixing bowl add the lettuce, tomatoes, spring onions and feta and mix well.
5. Combine the butternut squash cubes with the couscous and add to the salad ingredients. Stir well to combine.
6. Serve immediately with warm pitta bread.