As anyone who reads my blog will quickly realise, aubergines are my favourite vegetable. I love the versatility of them, and this recipe I think proves that. This is not dissimilar to Morrocan or Turkish dishes, such as Imam Bayildi, and the curried potato mixture really compliments the aubergine well.
4 large aubergines, halved and scored inside in a cross pattern
50 ml sunflower oil
100g baby potatoes, quartered
2 large onions, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbs medium curry powder
1 x 400g tin good quality chopped tomatoes
Small handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1. Place the aubergine halves in a large colander, sprinkle generously with salt and leave for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, add the oil and saute the onions, garlic and spices on a low heat for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and tomatoes, and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Season to taste.
3. Preheat the oven to 190C.
4. Rinse the aubergine halves thoroughly, then arrange open side up in a large baking tray. Pour the potato mixture over the top, ensuring that the aubergines are covered.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
6. Serve immediately with rice or a green salad.