There are countless variations and experiments that can be had with the basic traditional risotto recipe, and I think that the addition of nuts really adds a lot of extra flavour and much-needed texture. I really like the roasted peppers in this too.
2 medium white onions, finely chopped
4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
250g Arborio risotto rice
200g raw unsalted cashew nuts
100ml white wine
650ml good quality vegetable stock from bouillon
2 large red peppers, deseeded and finely sliced or chopped
1 tbs dried basil
20g vegetarian Parmesan style hard cheese, grated (optional if vegan)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Place the red pepper slices on a large baking tray, drizzle with 1 tbs of the olive oil, season, and roast for 15 minutes.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and add the onion and garlic and fry gently until the onion is soft.
3. Add the rice, cashews and roasted pepper slices and stir continuously for two minutes to ensure the rice doesn’t stick.
4. Add the basil, vegetable stock and wine, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 25 minutes, stirring regularly.
5. Season to taste, top with the grated cheese, and serve immediately with a side salad or toast.