I take full responsibility for this recipe – it’s the result of pottering about in the kitchen on Sunday (my day off from cooking in the cafe!), and wanting the traditional Sunday lunch veg, but with a twist. Of course the ingredients can be changed greatly, but I was very happy with these!
4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 leeks, sliced
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
100g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
1 large onion, finely sliced
1 aubergine, finely sliced
2 courgettes, sliced
50g frozen peas
100g red lentils
2 tbs olive oil
600ml vegetable stock from good quality bouillon
50g grated cheddar (optional)
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. In a large casserole dish, brush the olive oil on the base then layer the vegetables starting with half of the potatoes, then add the other root vegetables, lentils and remaining vegetables. Top with the remaining potato slices.
3. Season and pour the stock over to cover.
4. Top with the cheese, cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Take the foil off and bake for a further 15 minutes until the cheese is golden.
6. Serve immediately.