Even at this time of the year I sometimes feel like something a bit lighter to eat, as much as I like stodgy comfort food! This is a nice simple recipe which can be adapted to include your favourite vegetables.
1 pack ready-rolled puff pastry, defrosted at room temperature for 2 hours if frozen
1 large courgette, thickly sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
1 tin of good quality chopped tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp Herbes de Provence
50g mature cheddar cheese, grated
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to season
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Unroll the pastry and cut into 6 equal squares. Lightly score a square approximately 1cm within each square.
3. In a blender mix together the tomatoes, garlic, herbs and salt and pepper until it is a paste. Brush onto the middle of each square of pastry.
4. Add a layer of courgette and pepper slices to the middle of each square, ensuring to keep within the score-lines.
5. Top with the cheese and brush the milk around the perimeter.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve hot or cold with a salad.