This dish makes a nice change from similar roasted vegetable paella and risotto recipes I have tried, and I am ashamed to say it is the first time I’ve tried orzo! This also worked really well served cold the following day.
Serves 4 as a main or 6 as a side
1 large aubergine, cut into 2cm dice
1 red and 1 yellow pepper, each roughly chopped
1 large courgette, cut into 2cm dice
1 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
100ml extra virgin olive oil
250g orzo pasta
3 tbs lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
Small handful of basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. Toss the aubergine, peppers, onion, courgette, garlic and olive oil together and spread out on a large baking tray. Place in the oven and roast for 35 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Meanwhile, add the orzo to a large saucepan of boiling salted water and simmer for 5 minutes. Rinse and drain.
4. 10 minutes before the end of the roasting time, add the orzo to the vegetables along with the lemon juice and seasoning. Stir well to combine.
5. Serve immediately topped with roughly torn basil leaves.