I really love this recipe – it’s very filling with the combination of silky aubergines and the chickpeas, and blends nicely with the Moroccan spices that really lets the cinnamon flavours out – I will definitely be doing this one again!
1 large onion, chopped
4 tbs olive oil
1 green chilli, finely chopped
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 large aubergines, cut into 2cm dice
3 x 400g cans of chickpeas, drained
2 x 400g cans of good quality chopped tomatoes
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbs Ras-el-Hanout
1 bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
1. Place the diced aubergine in a large bowl, sprinkle liberally with salt and leave to juice for 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
2. Add the oil to a large frying pan and gently fry the onion and aubergine for 10 minutes until soft.
3. Add the garlic, chilli and spices and fry for a further 2 minutes.
4. Add the water, tomatoes and chickpeas to the mixture, season, stir thoroughly and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
5. Take off the heat, stir in the chopped coriander and serve immediately with couscous or flatbreads.