As much as I love the recipe of Aubergine Parmigiana (with veggie Parmesan of course!), it’s nice to have a change sometimes and although I can’t fully give up on the aubergine element, I have found that the addition of seared courgettes works really well and also provides a nice change of texture.
3 large aubergines, cut lengthways into 1cm thick slices
3 courgettes, cut lengthways into 1cm thick slices
2 medium onions, sliced thinly
3 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tins of good quality chopped plum tomatoes
5 tbs olive oil
100ml red wine
50ml balsamic vinegar
Small handful fresh basil leaves
100g freshly grated breadcrumbs
50g freshly grated vegetarian Parmesan
1. Place the aubergine slices in a large bowl, sprinkle generously with salt and leave for 30 minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
2. Meanwhile, add 3 tbs of the olive oil to a large saucepan and saute the onion and garlic gently for 5 minutes before adding the tomatoes, red wine and balsamic vinegar. Simmer gently for 15 minutes to reduce.
3. Pour the remaining oil in a griddle pan and gently griddle the rinsed aubergine and courgette slices in batches, turning once. Set aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C.
5. In a large casserole dish pour a small amount of the tomato mixture over the base to cover. Add a layer of the aubergine slices, then scatter a few basil leaves, a layer of the sauce then a layer of the courgette slices, and contine until completed. Top with the breadcrumbs and grated cheese and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
6. Serve immediately with bread and a green salad.