This is a variation on a recipe I have included here before, however I have modified it and hopefully improved it a bit (I find it hard just to leave recipes alone!). This Mark II version really seems to bring out the flavour of the beans well, whilst providing a nice after-kick of chilli!
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 large carrots, grated
150g mature cheddar cheese, grated
2 x 400g tins of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 x 400g tin of borlotti beans, rinsed and drained (pinto beans are good too)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chilli powder
6 medium sized tortilla wraps
2 green chillis, deseeded and chopped
A large handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
2 x 400g tins good quality chopped tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Add the grated carrot, onion and 100g of the cheese to a large bowl with the kidney and borlotti beans and chilli. Mash gently with the back of a fork and season. Stir in the cumin, chilli powder and fresh coriander and mix well.
3. Place one sixth of the mixture into each wrap and roll up ensuring the mixture is evenly spread.
4. Place the rolled wraps in a large oblong casserole dish.
5. Meanwhile, add the garlic, chopped tomatoes and paprika to a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes to reduce.
6. Pour the tomato mixture over the wraps and top with the remaining cheese.
7. Bake for approximately 25 minutes until brown and bubbling.
8. Serve with a fresh green salad and guacamole.