The winter months here definitely sometimes call for something substantial and filling to keep the cold out, and they don’t come much more filling than this! The combination of the butternut squash and the gooey rice provides a very satisfying main course, but also works well as a side for a salad.
1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2 cm dice
5 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper to season
2 medium onions, roughly chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
400g Arborio risotto rice
800ml good quality vegetable stock
200ml white wine (optional)
200g frozen peas
1 tbs Herbes de Provence
1 tsp dried oregano
3 tbs grated vegetarian Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Heat the oven to 220C. Place the butternut squash cubes in a large roasting tin and drizzle with 3 tbs olive oil. Season then roast for 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile add the remaining oil to a large saucepan and gently sauté the onions and garlic for 5 minutes until soft. Add the rice and sauté for a further minute before slowly adding half the stock (and wine if using), stirring regularly.
3. When the stock has been absorbed add the remaining stock, the herbs, peas and roasted squash. Continue stirring for a further 10 – 15 minutes until absorbed.
4. Take off the heat, season well and stir in the grated cheese if using.
5. Serve immediately with bread and a green salad.