I love the simplicity of this recipe, and it works well as a quick but satisfying curry to warm you up. I have adapted this from a recipe which involves puréed aubergines, which although is also nice, involves quite a bit of roasting and mashing! I’ve found that the mushrooms compliment the aubergines in this really well.
2 large aubergines
500g button mushrooms, halved
4 tbs sunflower oil
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red chilli, finely chopped (deseeded if you prefer less heat)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chilli powder
200g red split lentils
1 x 400g tin of good quality chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g tin of coconut milk
Small bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to season
1. Cut the aubergines into 2 cm cubes, add to a colander and salt well. Leave to juice for 30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
2. Add the oil to a large saucepan and gently sauté the onions, garlic and chilli for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
3. Add all the spices and mushrooms and stir well. Sauté gently for a further 2 minutes.
4. Add the lentils, tomatoes, coconut milk, half the coriander and season and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
5. Take off the heat, add the remaining coriander and season. Serve immediately with naan bread.