This is a fantastically quick and simple recipe which provides a really filling and satisfying evening meal without the constant attention required by some rice dishes, such as risotto. This also works well as a side to other dishes.
750g mixed fresh mushrooms (I used a combination of button and field), roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 medium onions, roughly chopped
4 tbs sunflower oil
200ml white wine
600ml good quality vegetable stock from bouillon
400g long grain rice
2 tbs fresh parsley, roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the garlic and onions and cook gently for 5 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms and cook gently for 5 minutes until soft.
3. Add the rice and stir to coat then add the wine, stock, parsley and seasoning.
4. Cover and simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed (about 20 minutes), stirring frequently.
5. Serve immediately with toast and a green salad.