This morning, on my day off from cooking at the Cafe, I decided to do some cooking experimentation at home instead! This proved to be very simple to make and certainly soon got polished off for Sunday dinner. I prefer nut roasts well done (some would say overdone!), so I would suggest that you adjust the baking time accordingly if you don’t like it as crispy as this.
2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
4 tbs olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 green pepper, deseeded and finely diced
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1 large courgette, grated
50g each of the following nuts; cashews, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecan nuts, all chopped finely or chopped in a food processor
100g ground mixed nuts
1 tbs yeast extract (eg. marmite)
2 tsp Herbes de Provence
1 tbs sweet chilli sauce
1 tbs soy sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. Sauté the onion in the olive oil in a large saucepan until soft.
3. Add the garlic, carrot and courgette and simmer gently for five minutes.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir well, and simmer gently for 10 minutes to combine.
5. Place the mixture in a lightly oiled casserole dish, cover with tin foil and bake for 20-25 minutes until brown.
6. Serve with a tomato and paprika sauce and sautéed potatoes.