I thought that I was beginning to run out of new ways of cooking with aubergines, my favourite vegetable, but I tried this by modifying Aubergine Parmigiana, and it seems to work really well. The sautéed potato seemed to compliment the aubergines really well with the cheesy breadcrumb topping.
Serves 4 to 6
2 medium aubergines, cut into 2 cm dice
500g potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
2 tbs olive oil
A large knob of butter
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tsp Herbes de Provence
300ml good quality veg stock
50g grated breadcrumbs
1 tbs grated vegetarian parmesan
Salt and pepper to season
1. Place the peeled and diced potatoes in a large pan of salted boiling water and boil for 5 to 8 minutes before draining, then set aside.
2. Place the aubergine cubes in a large boil and sprinkle liberally with salt. Leave for 30 minutes to soften before rinsing thoroughly.
3. Heat the oil and the butter in a large saucepan and add the onion. Sauté gently then add the garlic and aubergine cubes. Fry until tender (approximately 10 minutes on a gentle heat).
4. Add the potatoes to the aubergine and season before adding the tomatoes, herbs and stock. Simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Place the mixture in a large baking dish, sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and cheese and bake in the oven for 15 mins until the topping is golden. Serve with fresh bread and a green salad.