This week at the cafe I was asked if I could donate some food for a picnic by the local breast-feeding group, so I went back to an idea I had last year for ciabatta sandwiches which hopefully no-one had tried before. I tried one myself and had forgotten how nice they were – I’ll be doing these for all outings with my family this year!
Makes 2 Ciabattas
2 good quality ciabattas
1 large aubergine, cut lengthways in 10mm thick slices
2 courgettes, cut lengthways in 10mm slices
1 pack halloumi, cut into 10mm slices
3 medium tomatoes, sliced
Small handful fresh torn basil leaves
Small bag of rocket
For the Dressing
200ml Extra virgin olive oil
50ml Balsamic vinegar
1 clove of garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper
1. In a serving jug whisk all of the dressing ingredients together.
2. Place the aubergine and courgette slices in a large bowl and pour half of the dressing mixture over and coat fully to act as a marinade.
3. Heat a large griddle pan and fry the vegetable and halloumi slices in batches until seared and light brown on both sides. Set aside to cool.
4. Cut the ciabattas lengthways and brush the insides with the remaining dressing.
5. Arrange the aubergine and courgette slices then the halloumi slices and
tomato slices, before covering with a few torn basil leaves and a handful of rocket. Cut into approximately 6 pieces and serve warm.