I make no apologies for posting this, which is a bit similar to one I have added before, because this is one of my childrens’ favourites. This went down in double-quick time and is a great comfort food at any time!
Serves 4 as a main or 6 as a side
300g dried macaroni
1 medium head of broccoli, cut into florets
150g frozen peas
50g plain flour
200g grated mature cheddar cheese
50g grated vegetarian parmesan
1 tsp whole grain mustard
Salt and pepper
1. Add the macaroni to a large saucepan of salted water, bring to the boil and cook for 8 minutes. Add the broccoli and peas and boil for a further 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in another (or the same!) large saucepan then slowly add the flour and stir to form a roux, cooking for 2 minutes before gradually whisking in the milk. Cook gently for 15 minutes until it becomes a smooth and thickened sauce.
3. Take the sauce off the heat and add most of the cheese and the mustard and stir well until the cheese is melted. Season to taste.
4. Add the macaroni, peas and broccoli to the sauce and mix well. Transfer to a deep suitably-sized ovenproof dish.
5. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and the parmesan and place under a hot grill. Cook until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Serve with a green salad.