Now that the weather is getting a bit warmer I am starting to experiment with a few different salads here at Pulse Cafe. This is a variation on one which is simple to construct but really tasty. I’ve been snacking on this in pittas all week!
Serves 4 or 8 as a side salad
200g Giant Couscous
1 large aubergine, cut into 1cm dice
1 x 400g tin chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 orange or red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
3 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs Ras el hanout
1 tbs cumin seeds, toasted
1 tbs dried mint
Small handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
100g feta cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Place the couscous in a pan of cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Place the aubergine cubes in a roasting tin, cover with the oil, season and roast for 25 minutes until soft.
4. Toss the chick peas in a bowl with the lemon juice, ras el hanout and cumin seeds. Add the couscous, season and set aside.
5. Toss the herbs in with the couscous, gently mix in the aubergine and pepper cubes and crumble over the feta.
6. Serve with flatbreads or a green salad.