I must confess that I completely made this curry up on the spot using whatever I could find in the fridge. As it turned out it’s simplicity was the key, although I did overdo the chilli a bit, so have toned it down! This would also be great with halved hard-boiled eggs added half way through…
500g bag of baby potatoes
200g frozen spinach
150g frozen peas
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 green chillis, deseeded and finely chopped
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
3 tbs sunflower oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbs mild curry powder
1 tbs mango chutney
Small bunch of fresh chopped coriander to garnish
1. Halve the potatoes and place in a large saucepan of boiling water. Parboil for 8 minutes then drain.
2. Add the oil to another large saucepan then sauté the onion slices, garlic and chilli for 5 minutes until soft.
3. Grind up the whole spices with a pinch of salt in a pestle and mortar. Mix with the curry powder and add to the sautéed onion mixture. Simmer gently for 2 minutes.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes, 100ml of water and the mango chutney and cover. Simmer for a further 15 minutes.
5. Add the potatoes, diced pepper, peas and spinach to the mixture and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
6. Serve with freshly boiled rice or naan bread, and garnished with fresh coriander.