This (completely made up as I went along) recipe worked really well today as a quick but warming supper. Most of the ingredients could be substituted to taste, or the contents of your fridge, and I would recommend aubergines, mushrooms or even parsnip slices to either add or swap. Crumbled Feta on the top would also work well, or the cheese could be omitted to make this vegan.
3 tbs olive oil
3 medium courgettes, thinly sliced at 45 degrees
300g baby potatoes, thinly sliced
1 red and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
400g Passata or 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
200g halloumi, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. In a large frying pan add 1 tbs of the olive oil and gently fry the courgettes and pepper slices for 5-8 minutes until soft. When cooked, transfer to a bowl and add a further 2 tbs of oil.
3. When the oil has reached temperature, add the potato slices and onion slices. Again gently fry for 5-8 minutes until just soft. Transfer to the same bowl as the courgettes.
4. Add the garlic to the empty pan and gently sauté for 1 minute before adding the passata or tomatoes and herbs and spices. Cook gently for 20 minutes to reduce.
5. Add the vegetables to a large ovenproof casserole dish and top with the tomato sauce. Top with the halloumi slices and bake for 15 minutes.
6. When lightly brown serve immediately with fresh crusty bread and a green salad.