This is a really nice simple recipe inspired by one from Yotam Ottolenghi whose food (when it’s veggie) I really like. You can play around with the spice blend but this is one that I thought worked well. It can be easily adapted as a starter as well.
2 Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
1 large aubergine, cut into 2cm dice
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1 tsp whole coriander seeds
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper black pepper
3 tbs olive oil
2 tbs lemon juice
500ml natural yoghurt
1 tbs fresh mint, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. Meanwhile, grind the spices together with a pestle and mortar with the salt and pepper.
3. Place the sweet potato and aubergine cubes in a large bowl, drizzle with the olive oil and half of the lemon juice, add the ground spices and mix thoroughly to coat all of the cubes. Pour the mixture in a large baking tray and place in the oven for 35 minutes.
4. Whilst the vegetables are roasting, mix the yoghurt with the remaining lemon juice and mint, season, then place in the fridge to chill.
5. Serve the vegetables with the raita and a green salad.