This recipe is a great, and very tasty, way to use the various root vegetables that are available at this time of year. I’ve primarily used butternut squash and potatoes, but this also works really well with swede, celeriac, or even carrots. This is probably because everything tastes better roasted anyway!
Serves 4 or 6 as a side
1 kg small potatoes or large, peeled and cut into 20mm dice
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 20mm dice
100 ml extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp each of dried rosemary, thyme and oregano
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
30 ml balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
200g feta cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. Cover the bottom of a large baking tray with tin foil or baking parchment.
3. Place the diced vegetables in a bowl and toss with the olive oil, herbs, garlic, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to coat well.
4. Transfer the vegetables to the tray, and pour any remaining oil over the top.
5. Roast until brown, turning regularly. This should take 45-55 minutes, dependant upon quantity.
6. Add further seasoning if required. Top with crumbled feta and serve with a green salad or fresh bread.