This recipe is a really nice way to use up additional eggs and vegetables when inspiration fails to strike (which happens regularly to me!), and I think is always preferable to an omelette. This went really fast in the cafe last week, and I’m going to try a courgette one this week, however lots of fun can be had experimenting with variations!
4 large or 6 medium good quality potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
200g brocolli, cut into florets
8 medium free range eggs
300ml single cream
3 tbs olive oil
2 tsp Herbes de Provence
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
50g mature cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Add the potato slices to a large pan of lightly salted water and par-boil for 8 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry.
3. Add the olive oil to a large firm-based frying pan and gently fry the potato slices for approximately 8 minutes, turning regularly.
4. Add the onion slices and broccoli florets and gently fry for a further 5 minutes, adding more oil if required.
5. Meanwhile, add the eggs and cream to a large jug and whisk together with the herbs and paprika.
6. Pour the liquid over the vegetables and sprinkle the cheese over.
7. Place a lid over the frying pan and place in the oven for 10 minutes until set.
8. Transfer to a large plate and allow to cool. Serve with a green salad and fresh bread.