This is a recipe for some quiches I made in the cafe this morning and subsequently posted on Facebook. After a number of requests both online and in person for the recipe, I thought it best to share it here! This can be used as a basis for any quiche – I also recommend butternut squash and broccoli ones!
Makes 6 small or 2 large quiches
For the Pastry
115g plain flour
1/2 tsp English mustard powder
1/2 tsp paprika
Pinch of salt
60g grated mature cheese
For the Filling
6 large eggs
150ml single cream
Salt and pepper
2 large red peppers, roasted in olive oil for 25 minutes, or alternatively bought ready roasted
2 medium leeks, trimmed and sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Mix all of the pastry ingredients in a food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs, then slowly add water to bind to a dough. Knead until smooth, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Beat the eggs, cream and salt and pepper together.
4. Meanwhile, gently sauté the leeks in 20g butter until soft.
5. When the pastry is chilled, roll out the pastry and line the flan tins. Cover with baking beans and blind bake for 10 minutes.
6. Add the vegetables to the pastry shells, pour the egg mixture over and top with a pinch of grated cheese.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes and serve hot or cold with a green salad.