Firstly, apologies for not posting a Recipe of the Week last week – it was my cafe’s opening week and I literally haven’t had a spare minute! I will try to keep these posts regular, workload willing!
Anyway, this is a lovely simple recipe, which I guess is traditionally a brunch but I have expanded the quantities and added an egg to make a meal out of it! This is perfect for these cold Autumn dinner times.
6 large potatoes, cut into 1 cm dice
75 ml olive oil
2 large red peppers, diced
1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
4 large free range eggs
1 400g tin of good quality chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok on a low heat and add the potatoes. Fry for approximately 15 minutes, stirring regularly to avoid sticking.
2. When the potatoes and beginning to turn brown, add the peppers and onions and season. Cook gently for 20 minutes, again stirring regularly.
3. Meanwhile, add the chopped tomatoes to a small saucepan, add the paprika and heat gently.
4. Poach the eggs (I prefer to use poach pods) until just cooked.
5. Serve the potato mixture topped with an egg and serve with the tomato sauce.