This is my take on the traditional North Indian dal curry, modified because I’m addicted to aubergines! Although purists may disagree, I find that this addition gives the dish a bit more variation, and it’s another way to get tasty veg into my children!
300g Chana Dal (yellow split peas), soaked for 3 hours
2 medium onions, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
2 green chillies chopped (optional)
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 large aubergine, cut into 1 cm dice
A small handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1. Rinse the soaked Chana Dal thoroughly and place in a large saucepan of slightly salted water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until soft. Drain and set aside.
2. Fry the onions, garlic, ginger and chillies in a saucepan on a low heat until starting to brown, then add the garam masala, turmeric and salt and then the chopped tomatoes. Cook gently for another 2 minutes.
3. Gently fry the aubergine cubes for approximately 8 minutes until lightly brown.
4. Add the aubergines and Chana Dal mixture to the onion mixture, together with 100ml water. Stir well and gently simmer for 20 minutes until soft.
5. When cooked, sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve rice or naan bread.