This is a brilliant staple for family meal-times which I always seem to forget to get around making! When I do remember, the huge casserole dish is always emptied between the four of us!
300g dried macaroni
150g broccoli. cut into small florets
50g plain flour
1tsp dijon mustard
250g grated mature cheddar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the macaroni and broccoli in a large pan of boiling salted water and cook for approximately 8 minutes until the pasta is al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Put the butter in a separate saucepan, and heat gently until melted. Add the flour and stir to form a roux, then cook gently for 2 minutes before whisking in the milk, a little at a time to prevent lumps. when smooth, cook gently for 10 minutes until thickened.
3. Remove the sauce from the hob, add most of the grated cheese (retaining enough for the topping), the mustard and seasoning, and stir until melted.
4. Add the macaroni and broccoli to the sauce and mix well before placing in a large ovenproof dish.
5. Sprinkle over the remaining cheddar and place the dish under a hot grill until browned. Serve hot with a fresh green salad and crusty bread.