The recipe (and the rhubarb!) for this was provided by my sister-in-law, and I have had a number of requests for the recipe, so here six days early, is next week’s Recipe of the Week!
For the Roasted Rhubarb :
400g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into chunks
2 tbs caster sugar
2 tbs orange juice
For the cake mix :
350g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 free range eggs
350g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbscustard powder (about 25g)
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC ( 170ºC fan oven). Lightly butter a 20cm cake tin and line bottom with greaseproof. Put rhubarb in an ovenproof dish, add sugar and orange juice and roast for 15 mins.
2. Meanwhile, beat tog the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs and a little flour. Then add the rest of the flour and the baking powder and fold together. Spoon half batter into another bowl and set aside.
4. Sieve the custard powder over the remaining batter and mix. Spoon some of this batter into tin, then spoon half of the roasted rhubarb on top and cover with the rest of the cake mix and custard cake mix.
5. Arrange the remaining rhubarb on top and bake for 35-40 mins – cover the top with greaseproof paper to stop the cake going too brown.