I thought to celebrate the final day of National Vegetarian Week, I would do one more Recipe of the Week. I got these fantastic mushrooms yesterday at a wild mushroom tasting day at Doc Green’s in New Mills, and got a bit inspired!
This is a lovely simple recipe, which doesn’t take very long to make. As the asparagus season has just started in England, I thought I’d add these as well!
15g pack of wild mushrooms (I used the Forest Mix from Get Funghi
500g fresh tagliatelle
3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1/2 tsp salt
Grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
1 tsp dried tarragon
12 spears of fresh asparagus
2 tbs butter
1. Soak the mushrooms in a large bowl of water for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Place the pasta in a large saucepan of water of salted water and bring to the boil. Cook until al dente (2-3 minutes). Drain and toss with some olive oil and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, gently steam the asparagus spears over a pan of boiling water for 8-10 minutes until tender.
4. Heat 2 tbs of olive oil in a frying pan over a low heat then add the garlic and fry gently for 1 minute before adding the soaked mushrooms, tarragon and salt. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes before seasoning to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
5. Combine the mushrooms, pasta, lemon zest and juice, and butter and warm gently to mix.
6. Serve in a large bowl with the asparagus, plenty of black pepper and vegetarian parmesan cheese if desired.