Recipe of the Week – 4th February 2013 – Vegetarian Moussaka
This is one of the favourites in our household – it’s very filling and my son particularly likes the ‘cheesy topping’! This again proves that most traditional meals can be easily modified to provide great vegetarian alternatives. I have tried different combinations for the filling between the aubergine layers, but have found the mixture of chickpeas and lentils to be the most satisfying.
500g aubergines, sliced to approx. 5mm
1 large onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, sliced
300g mushrooms, sliced
400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
150g whole green lentils
4tbs olive oil
400g tin chopped tomatoes
550ml good vegetable stock (from bullion)
1 bay leaf
2tsp dried Herbes de Provence
1tsp dried mint
2tbs tomato purée
3 large eggs
350ml natural yoghurt
50g cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Salt the aubergine slices and leave to juice for 30 minutes in a colander.
2. Place the lentils, bay leaf and stock in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 25 minutes.
Drain thoroughly and remove bay leaf.
3. Heat 2tbs of oil in a large saucepan, and add the garlic and onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
Add in the lentil mixture, tomatoes, tomato purée, chickpeas and herbs and bring to the boil before
simmering gently for a further 10 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C. Dry the aubergine slices and shallow fry in 2tbs of oil in batches until
golden brown, turning frequently.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste to the lentil mixture. Arrange a layer of aubergines in a large shallow
dish and add over a layer of the lentil mixture. Repeat until all the aubergines are used up.
6. Mix the eggs, yoghurt and salt and pepper together and beat well. Pour over the mixture
and sprinkle with the cheese.
7. Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Garnish with parsley or basil and serve immediately.