Courgette and Butternut Squash Tagliatelle
This is a nice variation on a traditional tagliatelle recipe using a cheese and chive sauce. The courgette strips add a good texture and a contrast to the sweetness of the butternut squash.
2 large courgettes, cut into fine strips on a mandolin or cheese slicer
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
400g dried tagliatelle
1garlic clove, finely chopped
2tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce
1tbs plain flour
1tsp dried or fresh chives
50g grated cheddar
50g grated gruyere
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Toss together the cubed butternut squash in a roasting tin with 1tbs olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes until tender.
2. Add 1tbs olive oil In a large frying pan and add the courgette strips and fry on a medium heat for 5 mins until soft. Add the garlic and fry for a further 3 minutes. Cover and take off the heat.
3. In a small saucepan melt the butter and add the flour, milk, cheese, chives and seasoning, staring constantly with a whisk to create a smooth cheese sauce.
4. Meanwhile add boiling water to cover the tagliatelle and cook for 8-10 minutes until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop further cooking.
5. Add the butternut squash and pasta to the courgettes and toss together. Add the cheese sauce and mix together over a low heat for five minutes to combine.
6. Season to taste and serve with fresh basil leaves and garlic bread if desired.